There is no doubt that if you really want a quick check on the diet of a household just open the fridge door and look inside ….
How would you rate your fridge contents for the following basics? Do you have a greater number of items to enjoy compared to the number of items to limit?
Items to enjoy (Can you score 8/8?)
Yes please to……
- Homemade soup
- Beanie, lentil, pulse dishes – home prepared – ready to cook for dinner (or left overs from a big homemade cook up?)
- Pulse based dips (such as hummus)
- Fish –ready to increase fish oil intake
- White meat such as chicken
- Veggies – lots … especially green, salads etc.
(watch out for potatoes – keeping in the fridge increases acrylamide levels https://www.food.gov.uk/safety-hygiene/acrylamide)
- Water – pure and simple
Items to limit (can you score 8/8?)
No thank you to……
- Butter or other solid fats (or none because oil is kept out of the fridge)
- Full fat milks (do you have lower fat milk?)
- Cheese – (do you have low fat cheddar? Cottage cheese?)
- Full fat, full sugar yoghurt (do you have plain natural yoghurt?)
- Red meat – (or small amounts only)
- Processed meat like bacon, pies, and sausages (surely not!)
- Sweetened drinks
- Alcoholic drinks
Lots of other foods lurk in the fridge, like herbs, ginger, lemons or chocolate and sweets, but basics are basics…..
Read more about our #healthyshelfie campaigns